5 Signs Your Ice Machine Is Failing!
Ice machines are essential to every restaurant and many businesses. They provide ice for drinks and can be used in food preparation. When an ice machine stops working, it can cause a major slowdown or even bring a full stop to the kitchen, until the unit is fixed.
Ice machine breakdowns are especially common during these summer months, when they’re placed under increased duress from use and by the weather conditions. By watching out for the following warning signs, you can predict problems and call a technician before a breakdown. Here are some indications that your ice machine is not working properly:
- Short cycling: Short cycling is when the ice machine turns on and off frequently. When machines short cycle, they use a lot of energy and place stress on the ice machine, often leading to breakdowns.
- Leaks: Puddles in or around the machine are indicative of a leak in the water lines or the system.
- Oddly shaped ice: Misshapen ice is often a result of a leak inside the ice machine. If the ice has been fused together or is large and oddly shaped, it’s likely that there is a leak that needs to be fixed.
- Lower production of ice: If your ice machine is producing considerably less ice than normal, it’s likely that water levels are low. This can be caused by a leak or a clog in the water lines. These might also indicate that the water filters are due to be changed or that the water pressure is low. These issues are a large drain on energy and resources and should be fixed quickly.
- Produces water, but no ice: There can be many reasons an ice machine is not able to freeze the water. One is a faulty bin full switch, which may be falsely telling the ice machine that the ice bin is full. It may also be a deeper mechanical issue with the compressor or evaporator fan. These issues can only be solved by a professional technician and may involve replacement of parts.
If you notice any of these signs in your ice machine, call Express Refrigeration and we’ll help you prevent breakdowns and emergencies.
A common worry among ice machines owners is the slowing of ice production. This is actually quite normal during the summer. High external heat can slow down ice production by 10-15 minutes. However, if you notice your ice machine production times are significantly different, contact us and we’ll send a technician to check it out.
Call Sacramento, CA’s Express Refrigeration today if you’re having issues with your ice machine or any other HVAC, refrigeration, or kitchen equipment!